Riding a motorcycle leaves you fully exposed, increasing the likelihood of serious injury if there is an accident.
The fact is that motorcyclists face a 29 times higher risk of fatal accidents compared to car passengers.
To protect yourself, it’s crucial to have a competent medical and legal team, including a top-notch motorcycle accident lawyer.
This blog post is all about how to find the best motorcycle accident lawyer, and how to contact anyone of your choice.
Common Causes Of Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents can be caused by driver negligence, such as swerving, cutting off, speed limit violation, yielding failure, insufficient following distance, failure to spot lane changes, inattentiveness, or driving under influence.
Left-turn accidents, a common cause of crashes, occur due to misjudging motorcyclist speed/distance, not seeing the motorcyclist, panicking & blocking their path, or relying on another driver’s poor judgment.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
- Road Scratch: This is a type of abrasion that occurs when the skin comes into direct contact with the pavement or other rough surfaces during a motorcycle accident.
- Fractured Bones: Fractured bones are a common injury in motorcycle accidents due to the impact of the collision. Commonly broken bones in motorcycle accidents include the legs, arms, and ribs.
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI): TBI occurs when the brain is impacted by an external force, such as a blow to the head during a motorcycle accident. Symptoms can range from mild headaches to severe neurological problems and even death.
- Spinal Cord Injury: The spinal cord is a bundle of nerves that runs from the brain down the back. Spinal cord injuries can occur when the neck or back is impacted during a motorcycle accident. These injuries can result in permanent paralysis.
- Internal Injuries: These are injuries to the internal organs, such as the lungs, liver, or kidneys, that occur as a result of a motorcycle accident. Internal injuries can be serious and life-threatening.
- Amputation: This is the loss of a limb, usually as a result of a motorcycle accident that resulted in a severe injury to the limb.
- Dental Injuries: Dental injuries are common in motorcycle accidents, especially when the face is impacted during the collision. These injuries can range from simple tooth fractures to complete loss of teeth.
- Lacerations: These are deep cuts caused by sharp objects during a motorcycle accident.
- Abrasions: These are superficial wounds caused by skin rubbing against a rough surface.
- Concussions: These are mild traumatic brain injuries that result from a blow to the head during a motorcycle accident. Symptoms can include headaches, dizziness, and confusion.
When You Need A Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
You need a motorcycle accident lawyer if you have been involved in a motorcycle accident and have suffered injuries or damages to property, believe another party was at fault, or want to pursue compensation for damages.
1. Injuries Or Damages To Property
If you have suffered physical injuries or damages to your motorcycle as a result of a motorcycle accident, you may need the assistance of a motorcycle accident lawyer to help you recover compensation for your losses.
2. Another Party Was At Fault
If you believe that another driver, vehicle, or entity was responsible for causing the motorcycle accident, a motorcycle accident lawyer can help you gather evidence and build a case to hold that party accountable.
3. Pursuing Compensation For Damages
A motorcycle accident lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal system and negotiate with insurance companies to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to for medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages related to the accident.
How To Choose The Best Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Finding a personal injury attorney who can handle motorcycle accident cases in your town can be overwhelming with numerous options advertised everywhere.
To choose the right one for you, consider these key factors when speaking with accident attorneys.
1. Look For Referrals
Begin your search within your network. If you are a motorcyclist, you probably have friends or family members who have been in an accident and used an attorney.
Ask for their recommendations and if they would use the same lawyer again.
This approach can help you find a trustworthy attorney, as you know they have helped someone you know in a similar situation.
2. Request For Motorcycle Experience (Be Specific)
Personal injury lawyers have varying areas of expertise, so don’t assume an auto accident lawyer has the necessary experience to handle your motorcycle accident case.
Look for a lawyer who specializes in motorcycle accidents and inquire about their experience handling similar cases.
Ask how many motorcycle cases they have dealt with in the past year.
This information will ensure that the lawyer understands the unique aspects of motorcycle accidents, which can lead to a better outcome for your case.
3. Examine Critically Their Track Record
Examine critically the lawyer’s track record in handling motorcycle cases.
Ask about the number of cases that have resulted in settlements and those that were lost.
Ideally, you want a lawyer who has a high success rate in securing reasonable settlements. Inquire about their courtroom experience.
While some lawyers may focus on settling cases outside of court, it’s important to have a competent litigator if your case goes to trial.
4. Settle For Contingency Fees
Most personal injury lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, which means they get paid a percentage of your settlement. This eliminates the need for you to pay any upfront costs to retain an attorney.
The industry standard fee is usually between 33% to 40%, or potentially higher if the case goes to trial.
A fee within this range is considered standard in the industry.
Your attorney should clearly explain their fee structure and provide you with a signed fee agreement.
Keep in mind that you may still be responsible for paying out-of-pocket expenses, in addition to the contingency fee.
5. Request For Communication Schedule
Motorcycle accident cases can be time-consuming to resolve or litigate. Inquire about the lawyer’s communication plan.
Anticipate regular updates from your lawyer regarding the status of your case, typically every few weeks.
Ensure that the lawyer has a communication-friendly office and that you can reach them easily if you have any questions.
Who Is The Best Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
You will need to do your research to know who the best lawyer for a motorcycle accident is.
We can’t tell you who the best motorcycle accident attorney is because this blog post is not specific to a particular location.
Where you stay or the location of the accident will determine how to find one.
How To Search For A Motorcycle Accident Lawyer You
Here is a simple tip to find a motorcycle accident attorney near you.
Let’s say for instance you are living in California, you should go on the web and search for motorcycle accident lawyers in California.
If you are in Los Angeles, you can search using the phrase Los Angeles motorcycle accident lawyers.
For Houston and San Francisco, you could type the phrase Houston motorcycle accident lawyers and San Francisco motorcycle accident lawyers.
In addition, if your location is turned on on your computer or phone, you can use the phrase motorcycle accident lawyer near me.
- Personal Injury Lawyer Kansas City Langdonemison.com
- Los Angeles Personal Injury Lawyer Cz.Law
- Baltimore Personal Injury Lawyer Rafaellaw.com
- Best Personal Injury Lawyer Memphis Beyourvoice.com
Get weekly updates delivered to your inbox